The Chestnut Forum

Topic Options
#539 - 09/28/05 02:36 PM Worms develop on harvested nut
Jeff Brewer Offline

Loc: Mansfield,Oh. USA
After I tqake my harvested chests into hte house to eat after about three days I get white hairless maggott looking warms all over the nuts.I only have three trees and I grow for my own use. Is there anyway that I can treat the nuts to keep them from developing these worms. I can't tell if the worms are on the shell or if they're coming from inside like apple worms. They do ruin the nuts as they eat the insides. confused longtooth@isp.com

#540 - 09/29/05 07:05 PM Re: Worms develop on harvested nut
Kresimir Vidovic Offline

Loc: croatia
I have found something on the net, but I didn`t try it.
copy...paste.......

As soon as nuts are collected they can be treated in hot water (120*F = 49*C) for 20 minutes to kill weevil eggs and larvae but not the nuts. Then the nuts should be refrigerated. Keep them moist, in plastic bags, in the refrigerator (over the winter) if you are planning to plant them, or a little dryer for eating. Nuts can also be par-boiled as soon as they are harvested and stored (frozen) in plastic bags until needed. This kills the eggs (or very small larvae) before they can damage the nuts but also kills the nuts.

#541 - 10/03/05 12:17 PM Re: Worms develop on harvested nut
Jeff Brewer Offline

Loc: Mansfield,Oh. USA
Thank You for your input. I will certianly give it a try

#542 - 10/07/05 08:39 PM Re: Worms develop on harvested nut
Mike Nave Offline

Loc: Elverta, CA, USA
What you have are chestnut weevil larva. The weevils fly around in August and lay eggs in the burs. The eggs develop into the little "worms". Boiling the nuts will kill the larva and any undeveloped eggs but it won't stop the adult weevils from laying the eggs. For a few trees your best bet for eliminating weevils in the future is to make sure you gather all of your nuts and place them in metal buckets as soon as they fall. Then make sure you destroy all infested nuts and larva. After doing this for a few years the number of weevils should be greatly diminshed unless there are other chestnut trees near you. You can also spray the chestnut trees in August in an attempt to kill the adult weevils.

#543 - 10/25/05 11:33 PM Re: Worms develop on harvested nut
Michael Parks Offline

Loc: Hallsville, Mo. U.S.A.
I'll second what Mike Nave said. Four years ago I found a couple of chestnuts with holes from larve that had exited. Since then I've tried to pick up EVERY LAST NUT, so no larve get to enter the soil.This means that I have to mow very close right before harvest, so no nuts are missed in the weeds or grass.
I have not seen a "buggy" nut for two years now.

#544 - 07/08/07 07:55 AM Re: Worms develop on harvested nut
Ron and Debbie Kmecik Offline

Loc: Lake City, PA , ERIE
Hi. This is my first time on. We have a grove of Chestnut trees in Lake City PA. Last year we had alot of damage from the Chestnut weevel and want to control it this year. We are reading about spraying in August. could someone be more specific on what to use, one time application or more, Spraying the trees or the ground. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Ron and Debbie Kmecik

Copyright 2001-2012
Allen Creek Farm, Ridgefield, WA