The Chestnut Forum

Topic Options
#1393 - 03/14/17 07:55 PM Top graft or leave the Bond seedling to maturity?
farmer13 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Greetings, I am new to this forum. A vegetable grower from NJ getting into tree fruit and chestnuts. Back in fall of 2014 when establishing a 1 acre orchard we could only find half our planting stock as grafted Qing. We could not find any other grafted material to complete the orchard so after talking to the folks at Forrest Keeling we completed the other half of the orchard with Bond Selection Orchards 20815 and Homestead seedlings. FK told us that the Bond seedling material would be the next best thing to grafted, having been selected for precocity, size and uniformity of harvest, leaving me with the impression that the seedlings would be within 90% of the performance of grafted. Now, I am wondering if this is true and whether I should let them go to maturity or top work them this spring. Thanks

#1394 - 03/18/17 11:54 AM Re: Top graft or leave the Bond seedling to maturity? [Re: farmer13]
Carolyn Young Offline

Loc: Ridgefield, WA USA
Why don't you contact Greg Miller at empirechestnut@gmail.com

#1395 - 03/22/17 12:29 PM Re: Top graft or leave the Bond seedling to maturity? [Re: farmer13]
farmer13 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi Carolyn, thanks for the response. -- Jim

#1398 - 05/13/17 06:23 PM Re: Top graft or leave the Bond seedling to maturity? [Re: farmer13]
Davor Juretic Offline

Loc: Croatia
You don't want to keep seedlings. Graft them when they are 10 mm diameter on height 120 cm. Approximately.

#1403 - 05/20/17 09:34 AM Re: Top graft or leave the Bond seedling to maturity? [Re: farmer13]
Mike Nave Offline

Loc: Elverta, CA, USA
You should keep the seedlings until they are at least 3 inches diameter and you can check nut production on many of them. There will probably be some seedlings that will be pretty good. Then top work the ones that have poor quality nuts. That's what the Chinese do. They have specific rules for when Chinese trees should be top worked and I believe it starts at 3 inches. They base this on hundreds of years of experience. And top working Chinese trees is much more successful when they are larger. 4 inches is even better than 3 inches. If you check with Greg Miller his advice will be similar to mine.

#1412 - 07/03/17 04:12 PM Re: Top graft or leave the Bond seedling to maturity? [Re: Mike Nave]
Davor Juretic Offline

Loc: Croatia
What you say makes sense only if you are a hobbyist or searching for new varieties. Those who are establishing a commercial orchard want a uniform product that looks and tastes the same. They will not want a harvest extended over a long period of time. They will want verified clones they know what can be expected from that they can sell.

Edited by Davor Juretic (07/03/17 04:16 PM)

Copyright 2001-2017
C. A. Young, Battle Ground, WA