The Chestnut Forum

Topic Options
#531 - 09/12/05 05:39 PM Underground Pest
RonSquill Offline

Loc: Chelmsford, Mass. USA
Has anyone had problems with something eating the roots on 1 year old American Chestnut seedlings? I find underground tunnels near the roots where the top half of the seedling has died. Field mice or moles? Any non-chemical controls?

#532 - 09/14/05 12:44 AM Re: Underground Pest
Michael Parks Offline

Loc: Hallsville, Mo. U.S.A.
Ron, I have had my share of moles, mice and voles digging holes under seedlings. Most of the time they don't end up killing the trees because they are not really after the trees as much as what is living in that nice patch of watered area around the tree (worms) as opposed to the rest of the dry field. In fact, one tree this year outgrew the rest in its row while having the most "mole soil" of any.
I started watering the spaces between trees in the row and got the trouble "spread out" instead of just at the tree sites themselves. I hear that castor oil(bought at pharmacy) will deter moles, but haven't ever tried it.(not knowing how the trees would react)

#533 - 10/08/05 10:59 AM Re: Underground Pest
Don Kines Offline

Loc: Davis, WV, USA
Ron, In the past I have lost many American seedlings up to 3 years old due to voles. I had no indication there was a problem until I found the seedlings laying on their sides. When I would remove the soil, you could see where the vole had eaten through the stem just below the soil. I solved this by having a local school save me their large cans from the cafeteria. I cut out the bottom of the can, sink it about 5 inches into the soil and remove it when the seedling is about 1 - 2 inches in diameter. I hope that helps. Don

#534 - 12/01/05 10:09 AM Re: Underground Pest
kawalekm Offline

Loc: Riverside, Ca. 92509
Ground squirels are VERY destructive in my orchard site. I use traps, poison, chicken wire, and my .22 and I still get damage. I've walked out to the orchard to see only little stumps sticking out of the ground were my chestnuts were planted. The only thing that completely protects the trees is total enclosure. Here's what works at my site. I plant the tree in a 1.5 foot diameter X 1.5 foot tall pot made of 1/2 inch galvanized wire. That goes in the hole I dig for the tree. The seedling is planted in the pot with it's upper rim just at the surface. As I plant the tree I slip a 18 inch section of 4" drain pipe down the truck to below ground level to protect from mice. I then place a 1.5 foot cylinder of chicken wire that's 6 feet tall into the hole and wire it to the sides of the wire pot and then finish fillig in the hole. As expensive and labor intensive as it sounds, that is the ONLY way I've kept trees alive throughout their first season.
Michael

#1367 - 09/30/16 03:51 AM Re: Underground Pest [Re: kawalekm]
Sondares Offline

Loc: Turkey
Hi kawalwkm,
Is there any schematics or pic of that thing you made to protect your trees,
I want to make some of these also if you can help i will be appreciate...

#1410 - 05/28/17 09:14 AM Re: Underground Pest [Re: RonSquill]
Sondares Offline

Loc: Turkey
I find a good device to kill all these creatures. It is a simple gun which made for moles. And it is really working..
If possible I can share the pics of moles which i killed with this device...

Copyright 2001-2017
C. A. Young, Battle Ground, WA