The Chestnut Forum

Topic Options
#1374 - 11/28/16 10:42 AM Recommended nut cultivars for colder climates.
Sherwood Offline

Loc: Alberta Canada
I'm a tree farmer in central Alberta. Our climate corresponds to USDA zone 3b, with cool dry summers (by midwest standards -- 80 F is a hot day, 50% humidity is considered muggy ) a growing season of about 120 days, although due to our latitude some of those days have 18 hours of daylight; and winters that can get bitter cold: although -40 isn't as common as it used to be. Winters are long, with first snow that sticks usually by the end of November, and lasting until mid April.

Due to the length of the winter, bud desiccation is an issue.

Our natural precipitation is 16 to 20 inches a year, about 1/3 of that falling as snow and roughly 1/3 in June. The rest is erratic, and seems to be getting more so.

Most of our soils are silty loam but sand lenses and clay pockets are common. The surface was rearranged seriously in the last glaciation. On my land a common combination is 6-8 inches of silty loam on top of very fine sand

Bedrock is mostly sandstones. the resulting soils when tilled have pH's around 7.2 In the native aspen parkland it runs about 6.5

I'm looking for varieties of chestnut and possibly other nut crops that have a chance here. Does such exist?

#1406 - 05/20/17 09:44 AM Re: Recommended nut cultivars for colder climates. [Re: Sherwood]
Mike Nave Offline

Loc: Elverta, CA, USA
Some chestnuts will survive in zone 4. Zone 4 is very difficult for chestnuts. I don't know of any that will survive in zone 3. This guy grows some of the most cold hardy chestnut trees in the US, in Minnesota - http://www.badgersett.com/plants/orderchestnuts.html

Copyright 2001-2017
C. A. Young, Battle Ground, WA